Now let's compare the stated prerequisites copied from their websites. In practice, not all organizations enforce them.
* participants should feel comfortable upside down and be able to hold a tripod headstand and handstand comfortably against the wall
* hold plank pose and chaturanga dandasana with relative ease
* participants should have an ongoing AcroYoga practice (300+hours)
* be comfortable basing and flying basic AcroYoga balances
* have a consistent yoga asana practice 2-3 x per week for a mininum of 2 years
* be comfortable teaching an hour long yoga class; a teacher training certification is not necessary.
* participants must have a sense of humor and compassion!
* Certification of a 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training or equivalent.
* Completion of at least 2 Immersions, priority will be given to students that have completed all 3 (Elemental, Lunar and Solar). Each Immersion offers at least 30 hours of in depth study of AcroYoga methods and progressive practices.
* The Immersions must be 2 different types: i.e. Elemental + Lunar, or Elemental + Solar. It is recommended to take Immersions in areas where you have less formal experience or training.
* Additional 50 hours or 2 years of studying with certified AcroYoga teachers (In any form of Classes, Workshops, Series, Privates, Conferences, & Festivals)
*Contact time, minimum of 50 hours each in Yoga, Acrobatics and Thai Massage or another Healing Art.
*Teaching experience in yoga, massage, acrobatics in a formal group setting for at least 1 year.
We do require require you have some acrobatic skills. We need you to honestly and accurately asses whether the following skills are accessible/of ease to you (while working with someone of similar skill level) as a base OR flyer, at the time of application you must be able to accomplish the skills without a spotter helping (they can be there for safety).
Proficiency/comfort spotting tricks at your level
- Kick up into a handstand (you can have a spotter but without help to get in) Hold a handstand at the wall for at least a minute.
- Prasarita twist
- Star (shoulderstand on feet)
- Free shoulderstand in hands (flyer holding bases arms)
- Thighstand (any variation)
- Foot to Hand (any variation)
On your application you will be asked to rate your comfort level in the following.... while they are not prerequisites, the more experience you come with the more you will gain out of the training!
L-BASING (base lying down)
* Tic tocks
* Reverse star
* Free star (no hands)
* Hand to hand (any variation)
* Flag (either variation)
* 2 man high (hands on calves)
* Foot to hand
* Hand to hand
Send us 1 video 1-2 minute acrobatic flow of your choice. The video should represent where you are at skill-wise, however, it doesn’t need to be all of the craziest things you can do---think elements from the preqs! The video also doesn’t need to be of high production quality, a quick one on your cell phone is fine:)
While we understand the reason for a lot of prerequisites in preparation for training, we believe experience and passion often runs deeper than having a specific certification. We want you to tell us why you feel prepared for this experience: so rather than setting up a lot of prerequisites, we rely on asking you to demonstrate a variety of skills performed with a level that takes serious practice to learn.
Through conversation, the application, and the video of you completing the pre-reqs, we will assess where you are in your practice and if Acro Revolution Teacher Training is right for you.
- Base and/or fly on minimum of 100 people
- 400+ hours practicing L-base acrobatics
- Handstand on or off the wall for 1 minute
- Base and Fly all the following basic static poses with a 'same size' partner with confidence: Front Bird/Front Plank, Back Bird/Back Plank, Reverse Bird, Throne,Whale, Star, Cathedral Shoulder Stand (flyer holding base4thighs)
- Create and submit an application video demonstrating these skills in the Base or Flyer position: 30 sec F2H, 30 sec Free Shoulder Stand, 30 sec Free Star, Cartwheels in slow motion, Side Star to Side Star (base is hands-free), Jump to Reverse Star, Barrel Roll, High Barrel Roll, Catherine's Wheel, Propeller, 3 Second H2H , Spotting Catherine's Wheel, Spotting High Barrell Roll
* 200 hr certified teacher training
* 6+ months of prior acro experience
* Knowledge and embodiment of the ACROVINYASA™ Level 1 sequence
* Participated in ACROVINYASA™ Instagram Challenge for over 3 months (recommended)
You must levitate - on your first try. If you levitate on your second try, that's great for you, but not good enough for us. Sorry, we're impressed, we're just not interested.
There's only one pre-req.
Levitation. That's pretty much all we're interested in. Think about it.
Create A Washing Machine.
That seems like a good idea for someone who wants to teach. Creativity, skill, building on previous traditions with your own style or twist. Who are we kidding, we really don't care about this pre-req. Mostly, we're interested in #4. Please proceed:
Speaking instructions is usual for teaching. Rapping instructions is usual for Bossy Teaching. This is absolutely necessary, and will not be overlooked under any circumstances.
You need to feel confortable to teach a 2 hours yoga class for the group.
Questionnaire on 5 thai massage sesisons and 5 theraeutic flight sessions.
Videos of different acroyoga positions and sequences as base, flyer and spoter.
Different requests during the learning process.
Lift School of Acrobatics
Practice: 1000 hours of practice time
Education: 50 hours of acrobatics classes or workshops
Community: Letter of recommendation from a local teacher if one exists
Social Commitment Prerequisites:
Understanding that teaching is a role of service to those that come to you
Commitment to creating safe, educational, and inclusive training environments.
Commitment to representing other LIFT teachers and other traditions if acrobatics appropriately.
Commitment to continuing education and studentship (in any tradition, not necessarily Lift)
Understanding that use of the branding and certification is conditional to maintaining post-training requirements.
Physical Embodiment Prerequisites
Mastery of the Beginner Solo and Acro Skill Sets
Solo Skills: 15 second handstand at wall, Forward Roll, Backward Roll, Cartwheel
Beginner Skill Set. The beginner’s skill set should be mastered as a base and flyer
Raw Beginner Skills: Plank on Plank, Inverted Table on Inverted Table, Standing on Table (table = hands and knees), Front Bird > Throne > Foot to Shin (F2H Prep) >, Whale, Back Bird Front and Back Walkover, Back Bird > Straddle Bat, Hands Free Egg Beaters, Candlestick, Star, Step to Thigh Stand, Step to Reverse Thigh Stand
Intermediate Beginner Skills: Cannonball to Straddle Bat, Straddle Bat to Floating, Paschi to Back Bird, Cartwheel, Shin to Foot, One Foot Star, Flyer Tuck/Straddle/Pike Presses in Star, Star walk to Straddle Bat, Standing on Forearms like F2H mount, Standing on Forearms from Throne like RF2H, Jump to Thigh Stand, Jump to Reverse Thigh Stand, Flag
Advanced Beginner Skills: Low F2H 10 seconds, Box Presses, Box to straight arm F2H, Throne to RF2H, Reverse Bird, Reverse Throne, Back Bird to Reverse Shoulder Stand, Flyer hip Swivels in Star, Star to Straddle Bat Walks (adding straddle bat to Star walk up), Front Plank to Supported Shoulder stand, Straddle Bat to Inside Side Star (flyer’s head to midline and facing towards base), Front Plank > Reverse Couch, Reverse inside Side Star, Folded Leaf to Straddle Bat (Prasarita Twist)
Proficiency in the following intermediate level skills with multiple partners as a base and/or flyer
Solo Skills: 45 second handstand at wall, Safely attempt free handstand in the middle of the room
Static Acro Poses: croc, bicep stand, reverse star
Hand to Hand/Foot to Hand Prep, 30 second tuck, straddle, or pike sit, 30 second F2H on straight arms, 30 second Free Star
Linear Spinning: Catherine’s Wheel - Front Plank > Free Shoulder Stand > Reverse Back Plank > Reverse F2H > Front Plank, Reverse Catherine's Wheel -F2H, Back Plank, Reverse Free Shoulderstand, Reverse Bird
Lateral Spinning: Propellor (Reverse Bird Tic Toc, 5th Position Walk), Infinity (Reverse Bird Tic Toc, 5th Position Walk, Back Bird Tic Toc), Ninja Star (Reverse Bird Tic Toc, Back Bird Tic Toc)
Rolls: Barrel Roll with H2H Grip, High Barrel Roll, Squirrel Roll (Reverse Bird > Reverse Outside Star > Star > Reverse Bird)
Basic Pops: Straddle Throne > Front Plank, Front Plank > Straddle Throne, Throne > RF2H, Reverse Plank > tip to F2H
Standing Acro: Camel, Camel to High Bird, Camel to High Side Star, Horse Stance Climb to 2 High, slow carry dismount, L-Basing Tuck Sit to Reverse Thigh Stand
Teaching Experience: Teach one acrobatics class to 3 people. It can be taught to friends formally or informally in any format that works for you. A written reflection of your teaching experience addressing the following questions is required for application.